The reasoning behind the madness!

The reasoning behind the madness!

Please show your support by sponsoring me



UPDATE! 25 Oct 2010

It is with great sadness that I write this update. On the 25th October 2010 my little sister sadly passed away at the age of 31. She had bravely battled MND for 11 years. She had never given up and had achieved to much even after developing MND, winning the Open University award for achievement to gaining a degree. She will be greatly missed and will for ever be in our thoughts. Love you sis :D

Well where to start, it was all originally done as I was carry to much weight and wanted to loose it. Which I am sure it most peoples story begins, however after loosing the weight I actually started to enjoy running outside. Joined some forums (BCTTT & Runners World), there inspiration and helpfullness has helped me a lot. Now I am also swimming and commuting a couple of times a week to work on my bike! Now since 2011 I accomplished more than I thought I ever would or could. From 5k runs to an Ironman in 2014 and The Outlaw in 2015. In 2016 I am going down a different route, I will be trying Ultra's as you can see from my events I have already entered 3 so far. Now I thought wait a minute I need to have one more motivation and that people is my sister Emma. Since the age of 20 she was very unfortunate and developed MND (Motor Neurone Disease), she is now 31 years of Age. Her health has deteriatated over the years and we nearly lost her last year. My mum had to give up her work and become a full time carer for my sister and my dad takes over the duties when he comes home from work. All the races I do will be in aid of my sister and all money raised will be donated to MND to help raise awareness and research in the disease. Thanks for all your help and enjoy my training blog,

Friday 2 October 2015

The OUTLAW

Having done the Half Outlaw in 2014, I kind of wanted to give this a shot. So I entered it about 2 months after completing IMUK 2014. Yeah I know a gluten for punishment.

Over the course of a 9 months training. I was more lax than I was when training for the IMUK unsure if this was to do with the fact I was more tired and had less time on my hands or just that I was struggling with motivation. You see I was not in a good place last year for one reason and another and I could not concentrate on anything. But that is not what this blog is for. So I will not burden you with it.

I did manage a couple of long cycles (over 100 miles) and of course my turbo was was well used due to the Scottish weather. The swim I knew was not going to be comfortable as I was not sure how I would handle the 2.4 mile swim as this was an out and back. There was no loops as in all my previous races. I trained as much as I could. Running I felt comfortable I had been running more over the course of the year for the London marathon and a few other running events.

So race weekend had arrived and yes as per usual I had my entourage. So first a thanks to Yvonne, Erin, Rebecca, Mum and Dad. If it was not for their support and continuing encouragement throughout the year I am sure I would not of completed or even started many of my races.

The registration process for the Outlaw was stress free. Once you register they give you as expected 3 bags. One for your bike gear, running gear and finishing gear. The all get left within two tents which are situated right next to each other at the start line. None of this faffing about getting from point A to B which stems about 30 miles away for each transition point.

After which I rested for the rest of the day had dinner and an early night. Mum and Dad took the kids (well swapped hotels). Then it was RAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE day. Yes I was nervous who would not be. The weather was not to be so good, however looking outside it was telling a different story.

Time to head down get some breakfast and then off to the start line. Yvonne as per usual always comes with me to the start and then later meets up with my mum and dad. So she heads down eats breakfast, we got talking a couple of other competitors which was good for all our nerves.

I walked down to the waters edge put on my wetsuit and gave some stuff to Yvonne and packed the rest into the finishers bag. Before I knew it I was being ushered or more like told to get to the start line as I was going to be late................oooooooooops.

Got into the water (yup never had much time to actually do a warm up, hoping that was not going to haunt me later on). The gun went off and away we went. I found my rhythm pretty quickly and no hick ups in the swim apart that I felt like I was in water, even so this was probably the most enjoyable swim I had all year. My line of site was again a wee bit all over the place. Apart from that a solid swim. If I do this race again I think I will move to a different starting point. Where I was which was the furthest away jetty, there was a lot of stopping and starting. Which I lost time not that much but you will see at the end why I would move.

Swim Time :- 1:20:51

Transition 1

Once I was out of the water running, you heard right running to T1. I went to pull down my zip for the wetsuit only to find it was already down? No  wonder I was feeling like I was taking in water I was. aaaaaaaaaaaaaah. No matter did not want ponder on what ifs and what could be's I had to get changed and get out on the bike. I felt like that was simple. Felt good. Took on a gel and headed out to the bike and yes it was still sunny.

T1 :- 8:04

Bike

This started off GOOD no I mean really GOOOOOOOOD. Settled down took it easy for the first 10 -15 mins to let the legs find themselves. Then off I went. Did the first 16 miles in just under 50 mins. Then the following 64 miles in just over 2hrs 30min. My nutrition seemed okay alternating between gels and cliff/powerbars. Of course taking in water/High 5 Zero. Then 2 things happened. 1st I was started to get stomach cramps and could not take on any nutrition apart from water. Next the heavens opened up and started to rain really heavy. I was starting to fall back in positions but lets be honest I am not in for where I finish as long as I get to the finish line. I was still well under the cut off times. So pulled back on the speed and took my time getting back. I still had 30 odd miles to go. The roads were starting to get slippery and I was not going to take any chances. I then saw T2 so I trundled up to it handed my bike to the marshals and headed (walked) to the T2.

Bike Time :- 6:23:33

T2

I need to sit down and think how I was going to handle the run, my stomach was still cramping. Slowly put on my trainers, jacket and my gel nutrition. By the time I had left T2 I had some kind of plan.

T2 :- 10:13

Run

This was it went the last part a marathon. Looking at my watch I could pretty much walk the whole thing and still finish within the cut off times. But you all know me that is not what I wanted to do. I started with a very slow jog, passed Yvonne cheering me on. I will state by this time the running surface was now just a puddle. Over half the course was either muddy or puddles. My nutrition plan had changed I took off my nutrition belt full of gels and gave them to Yvonne. I decided what an athlete should never do..............change the plan. So it was flat coke and salted crisps and guess what happened after about 13 miles? My stomach started to settle so I kept this process up and before I knew it I was on the last loop having gathered all my bands I was coming down the last 300m..........200m..................100m............50m...........Stop find Erin and Rebecca and let them come down the finishing chute with me.  They loved it, We even got on TV yes TV to which now Erin wants me to do the race every year so she can be on TV.

Run Time :- 5:05:25

ps 2nd Fastest marathon time so I even suprised myself.

Overall Time :- 13:08:08

Remember at the swim when I said if I had moved to a different area I might of saved some time and the mishap of my wetsuit and then of course stomach cramp. I sometimes wonder to myself would I of got under the 13hrs. Even if I would of I still beat my IMUK time by over 90 mins. Overall chuffed to bits.

No comments:

Post a Comment