The reasoning behind the madness!

The reasoning behind the madness!

Please show your support by sponsoring me



UPDATE! 25 Oct 2010

It is with great sadness that I write this update. On the 25th October 2010 my little sister sadly passed away at the age of 31. She had bravely battled MND for 11 years. She had never given up and had achieved to much even after developing MND, winning the Open University award for achievement to gaining a degree. She will be greatly missed and will for ever be in our thoughts. Love you sis :D

Well where to start, it was all originally done as I was carry to much weight and wanted to loose it. Which I am sure it most peoples story begins, however after loosing the weight I actually started to enjoy running outside. Joined some forums (BCTTT & Runners World), there inspiration and helpfullness has helped me a lot. Now I am also swimming and commuting a couple of times a week to work on my bike! Now since 2011 I accomplished more than I thought I ever would or could. From 5k runs to an Ironman in 2014 and The Outlaw in 2015. In 2016 I am going down a different route, I will be trying Ultra's as you can see from my events I have already entered 3 so far. Now I thought wait a minute I need to have one more motivation and that people is my sister Emma. Since the age of 20 she was very unfortunate and developed MND (Motor Neurone Disease), she is now 31 years of Age. Her health has deteriatated over the years and we nearly lost her last year. My mum had to give up her work and become a full time carer for my sister and my dad takes over the duties when he comes home from work. All the races I do will be in aid of my sister and all money raised will be donated to MND to help raise awareness and research in the disease. Thanks for all your help and enjoy my training blog,

Wednesday 25 May 2011

Edinburgh Marathon

Well the weekend had finally arrived that I was to do my first marathon. I entered this must of been August/September last year. I was doing this in aid of MND and told my sister. She was sooo happy, that she wanted to see myself do the event and get me at the finish line. We started looking for hotels to accommodate us all. Yvonne decided that she would do the 10K on the Saturday for the same charity. We were going to make a weekend of it.

Just as we were going to book the hotels my world crumbled as my little sister passed away. But we were still going ahead in her memory. Training was not going well for myself though as I managed to put myself out of commission at the end of Sept and could not do any running until the beginning of March. This I have to say was a major hindrance. No matter time I was going to try and do something. 3 miles was all I could muster before I could start to feel the sharp pains in my legs. Yvonne's training was doing much better than me, she was managing to do her runs and even did a 10K race two weeks before this 10K. Three days before the marathon I invested in an ITB Strap and I am thankful I did.

Saturday

This was the day that Yvonne was doing her 10K round Holyrood park, and by the looks of it it was all uphill. Ouch. They never sent her number out so we had to get her a new race number (which we did on the Friday night). It was very well set out, the start was also the finish. Plenty of space to take photos see her cross the finish line etc. There was a tent for Erin to go to and do some painting, make a bracelet and even face painting if she wished. Took some photos of her at the start and got there before she finished to get her at the finish line to congratulate her on a run well done.

Sunday

This was to be my race day. I was up at 6am as I basically could not sleep. The hotel was having breakfast from 6am for marathon runners, which I thought was great. Oooooh the marathon did not start till 10am :D. I never went down for breakfast until 6:30am. There was a few people there already from all over Europe, Germans, Italians, French, English, Welsh and Irish. Think there was even people from Spain there aswell. Had weetabix with Aplen, tea, toast and bananas. By the time I got back to the room Yvonne and Erin had arisen and dressed. They were about to head down to get their breakfast. I got myself ready, gels check, water bottles check, mp3 player check, and mobile phone. Decided to join them for breakfast well sit with them anyway. By the time I got there my parents were also there. The night before it was decided that Yvonne was coming with me to the start line. We booked the taxi the night before and it we were sharing with other runners which was good.

8:15am and time to leave and head to the start line. We got as far as Meadowbank stadium and with all the road blocks we had to get out and walk the rest of the way which was only about 3/4 of mile. However with no directions or signs we ended up following the people in front................who also did not know where they were going found out we were going the wrong way and headed back got directions and found the start area. It was some walk to my "peg" at least there was loads of toilets about. Then the heavens opened Yvonne had brought her umbrella so stood under that for about 10mins. By now it was only 30mins till the start, time for me to do some warm up excercises/stretches etc………….all done and Yvonne took a couple of photos of me at the start and by god did I have butterflies.

Lined up with the rest in my coloured “peg” and then we were off. Ooooh I had 4 gels with me carbohydrate sweets 2x25ml water bottles and 1x500ml water bottle. Had the ITB Strap on at the start. The first 10k was very uneventful it was pretty much going through the streets of Edinburgh with loads of supporters giving you words of encouragement. Got back round to Meadowbank stadium and who was there heading the bus stop shouting me on was Yvonne…………….yup passed her again to words of encouragement. I told Yvonne I would text her every 6 miles so she knew where I was. It took me about 1hr 4mins for the first 6 miles. The next 6 miles was actually easier than I thought it was going to be got the half way point in about 2hrs 30mins. I was well chuffed with myself as this was by far the longest I had ever ran, about here I took one of my gels and yes I have used them before so no I was not sick. Took water etc at every water/energy station. The scenery going along Portobello promenarde was great, people out in their droves waving flags of charities etc. Then mile 14 things started to go wrong, I could start to feel my quad’s sore. Slowed my pace down and then at mile 16 two things happened. 1. one of the racers coming the opposite way (he was waaaaaaay ahead was running and at the same time was shouting “fuck it, fuck it, fuck it, fuck it” brought a smile to me. 2. One of my groin muscles went and so did my hamstring’s the pain was bearable though. By mile 18 I was virtually walking as the soles of my feet were in sooooooooo much pain texted Yvonne to say that I had made the 3rd check point but the pain was no starting to get to me. My back and shoulders were sore, hamstring’s were gone, quads knackered and the soles of my feet were at the stage of it was like walking on broken glass! I was now hobbling by only had 8 miles to go could I do it, one half was saying throw in the towel the other half was saying MTFU this is for your sister do her proud. The head wind coming back down the road we had just came up was unbelievable, police cones blowing past me, sand from the beach getting blown into my face and eyes……………felt like I was getting sand blasted for the last 8 miles. But continued I did. Lost one of my gels took the last one I had at mile 18-19. Had to stop a few times to try and stretch but the pain was too much. At mile 23 the pain I was suffering was the most I have ever had to endure and I stopped. 3.2 miles from the end what was I to do, I was basically in tears but all I could think about was my sister must of endured more pain so I put the pain to the back of my mind turned round and told myself it is only a 5K distance left to do and you can do it. Kept on thinking of my sister and the fun we used to have as kids and thinking of her as if she would be at the finish to congratulate me and the strength that brought me made me finish the race. I crossed that finish line and felt the start of the tears but I held them back. I had to continue the hobble to another what felt ½ to the muster point to see Yvonne and by that point when I hugged her and my daughter Erin I was in tears as I had accomplished something I thought I never would.

Time 5hrs 59Mins 35secs

It was disappointing that no family were allowed near the finish line! So they could not take any photos of you or even help you they were made to wait a fair distance away, I was emotionally and physically drained and I wanted someone there but alas they were not allowed. They were made to watch us struggle to them as the stewards refused to let them help us to them. The TV’s in the park that were meant to let them watch us at the finish never worked. I never got a marathon T-Shirt as they had ran out of them. Goody bag was poor, which included, small amount of toilet paper? 3x small bags of sweets, 1 blister plaster, 1 energy bar, couple of testers and of course your medal.

The only part of me that did hold out was my ITB the strap worked :lol:

No comments:

Post a Comment