The reasoning behind the madness!

The reasoning behind the madness!

Please show your support by sponsoring me



UPDATE! 25 Oct 2010

It is with great sadness that I write this update. On the 25th October 2010 my little sister sadly passed away at the age of 31. She had bravely battled MND for 11 years. She had never given up and had achieved to much even after developing MND, winning the Open University award for achievement to gaining a degree. She will be greatly missed and will for ever be in our thoughts. Love you sis :D

Well where to start, it was all originally done as I was carry to much weight and wanted to loose it. Which I am sure it most peoples story begins, however after loosing the weight I actually started to enjoy running outside. Joined some forums (BCTTT & Runners World), there inspiration and helpfullness has helped me a lot. Now I am also swimming and commuting a couple of times a week to work on my bike! Now since 2011 I accomplished more than I thought I ever would or could. From 5k runs to an Ironman in 2014 and The Outlaw in 2015. In 2016 I am going down a different route, I will be trying Ultra's as you can see from my events I have already entered 3 so far. Now I thought wait a minute I need to have one more motivation and that people is my sister Emma. Since the age of 20 she was very unfortunate and developed MND (Motor Neurone Disease), she is now 31 years of Age. Her health has deteriatated over the years and we nearly lost her last year. My mum had to give up her work and become a full time carer for my sister and my dad takes over the duties when he comes home from work. All the races I do will be in aid of my sister and all money raised will be donated to MND to help raise awareness and research in the disease. Thanks for all your help and enjoy my training blog,

Monday 18 January 2016

Tailwind Nutrition

I have been using High 5 ISO Gels (changing with powerbars/cliff bars) with High 5 Zero for the last four to five years now. In the last my last two long distance races, that being Staffordshire 1/2 Ironman and The Outlaw. I have had stomach cramps more than halfway into the race. I decided that I wanted to try something new before my next race.

Searched the internet read reviews and I had it whittled down to Tailwind nutrition. I ordered the mix box on Thursday and it very promptly arrived the next day. I had arranged to meet one of my running buddies (Alan) to go for a longish run on the Saturday 15-16 miles and I decided that I wanted to use this as a testing platform for my new nutrition.

So one sachet into my 700ml water bottle (Lemon) and I was ready to go. I was only taking one water bottle with me. I started to sip it before we went a run but nothing significant. Off we set I usually sip on the water as I run couple of mouthfuls usually every mile or so. The first time tasting it is seemed a bit chalky, it was due to the powder sitting at the bottom of the bottle gave it another shake and all was better. The lemon flavour was subtle but not over powering as some can be. Was easy on the palate and no after taste................bonus. First time in a while I have to agree that I never had any stomach problems or lagging in energy. Just my legs were knackered not me. (I did do a seven and a half mile run the day before). By the time I had finished my run the bottle was empty and I was feeling good.

Tailwind sachets are not cheap if you buy them individual it is £1.50 or in a mixed box of 10 it is £13.50. To High5 Zero which is 20 tablets for about £5 which even at the strongest mix level they recommend you would get 10 750ml water bottles. Tailwind do bags for 30 (£19) and 50 (£29) servings which is much better priced. The sachets to me is more of a try before invest in it.

Overall I could change to this nutrition for long distance running. I would still need to use banana's (which you normally get at a water station) as I still like to have something in my stomach apart from fluids but I will be able to cut down considerably on the gels i.e. 1 every 3-4 miles to 1 every 13-14 miles. It will be more mind set than anything else, "I normally take a gel now so I should take one". Remember using I have been using gels for over 4 years now and now I want to try to either reduce or do not use them at all. So I will try at the D33 (33 mile run) in march to use no gels and see how I progress.  At the weekend that was one of my mistakes, I had a small breakfast and never took a banana before the run. All I had for nutrition was the Tailwind and I managed to do the 15.5 miles in about 2hrs 10min. For me that is good going.

For Half Ironman distance races and up I believe there would still be the need for that extra boost on the bike leg and on part of the run leg. Tailwind would not be able to sustain you the whole race................before anyone asks no High5 Zero cannot sustain you aswell. You need to calorie count in these long distance races.

So this year I have started down a new path of nutrition and see where it takes me.

Wish me luck.




No comments:

Post a Comment