The reasoning behind the madness!

The reasoning behind the madness!

Please show your support by sponsoring me



UPDATE! 25 Oct 2010

It is with great sadness that I write this update. On the 25th October 2010 my little sister sadly passed away at the age of 31. She had bravely battled MND for 11 years. She had never given up and had achieved to much even after developing MND, winning the Open University award for achievement to gaining a degree. She will be greatly missed and will for ever be in our thoughts. Love you sis :D

Well where to start, it was all originally done as I was carry to much weight and wanted to loose it. Which I am sure it most peoples story begins, however after loosing the weight I actually started to enjoy running outside. Joined some forums (BCTTT & Runners World), there inspiration and helpfullness has helped me a lot. Now I am also swimming and commuting a couple of times a week to work on my bike! Now since 2011 I accomplished more than I thought I ever would or could. From 5k runs to an Ironman in 2014 and The Outlaw in 2015. In 2016 I am going down a different route, I will be trying Ultra's as you can see from my events I have already entered 3 so far. Now I thought wait a minute I need to have one more motivation and that people is my sister Emma. Since the age of 20 she was very unfortunate and developed MND (Motor Neurone Disease), she is now 31 years of Age. Her health has deteriatated over the years and we nearly lost her last year. My mum had to give up her work and become a full time carer for my sister and my dad takes over the duties when he comes home from work. All the races I do will be in aid of my sister and all money raised will be donated to MND to help raise awareness and research in the disease. Thanks for all your help and enjoy my training blog,

Friday 25 July 2014

The IRON weekend has arrived.

Well it has been a long time in writing on the weekend of the Ironman so here goes.

18th July

We decided to leave on the Friday as it would mean I could register myself and hopefully ease any stress of trying to register myself the day before the event. Plus there was a special event happening on the Saturday and this was Erin taking part in the Ironkids.

We left early and had lunch onroute. It was pretty much a quick journey down, we were only going to Bolton. My parents were coming to watch myself and Erin do the our respectful events. We are arrived at the Mercure Georgian Hotel. There was a wee mix up in the rooms but this was sorted out. After which we headed to the Macron Stadium (Old Reebok Stadium). This was where we were to register, pick up our numbers etc and also where I booked my bike in to get a service. I did not realise at the time that this was NOT where Erin was to get registered. I was to go into Bolton town centre for this.

So I dropped my bike off and headed into the Town Centre, this was fun having never been here before and not much in the way of directions. Took the best part of an hour just to find somewhere to park the car, get directions, get wrong directions and finally find the place.

Went in with Erin, she already knew her number. We picked up her t-shirt that she was to wear on the day, strangely it said Finisher on it.

After which I went back picked up my bike and headed back to the hotel for a bite to eat and for me to make sure I had everything for the race. As I only had the next day to get anything that I needed.

I thought I would give the bike a try and see how all the gears were after being serviced. Shock horror all the gears in the small chain ring, constantly missed. So I decided to tinker myself and I got most working. However though I was not convinced, I am not a proper bike mechanic. Would have to wait until Saturday.

19th July

Up early, Erin's race was at 11am. She was nervous herself. She has done a few 1.5km runs before but none with this much attention and support.

We had breakfast then headed first to the Expo at the Macron to get the bike sorted. When I arrived there was no Pembrokeshire Bikes (They were doing the Bike Services). A quick call to the shop and I got their mobile number. Phoned them explained what has happened told to bring the bike them straight away, they were at Pennington Flash (Swim Start and T1). I would be there later in the day.

Next off to see Erin in her race. Bolton Town Centre was awash wish kids all with their T-Shirts and numbers. It was fantastic seeing what could be the next generation of stars. I took Erin to the start to them be told that I would have to get Yvonne. This was my fault as when registering Erin they gave me wristbands x2. One for your child (Erin) and one for the guardian/parent dropping them off and picking them up. So both wrist bands would match. I thought that was a great idea, only I forgot when dropping her off. Oooops.

Anyway no harm was done, Erin got to the starting area with time to spare. She did her warm up with the other kids that were doing it. She looked the part with all her running gear on. Then before I knew it, it was time for her wave to go and off she went. She was near the middle of the pack. About 20 metres into the run a few kids fell over other kids stepped on the them. Erin stopped and moved over to let them get up (she was there to have fun not to finish in blistering times). My mum and dad were spaced over the course to take pictures of her. I got back to the finish in time to see Erin run down the finishing chute to the cheers of the crowd and her proud parents. She completed her first ever Ironkids and has the medal to prove it.

Next up I needed to get to Pennington Flash to get my bike re-serviced and then to leave my bike at T1 overnight. Ohhh and that small thing of packing my T1 bag with everything that I may need. That proved to be the hardest thing to do. You see all the other triathlons I have previously done T1 and T2 are the same location. So I do not need to think about what is needed as I keep it all in one bag. This time though T1 was separate from T2. There is a blue bag for Bike and red bag for Run. Which you need to put in what you think is required. So I did this to best of what I thought was right. Have to say I think I managed to get it correct. Pembrokeshire checked my bike all seemed fine? I was there when they checked the bike and all was okay. Bike was left at T1 with my cover over it to keep it dry.

I will state that trying to find Pennington Flash took over an hour. My Sat Nav packed in and I could not find a single direction that would get me there. Aaaaaaaah.........Getting stressed

Headed back to the hotel and got some lunch. So much for a relaxing Saturday. Never really did anything for the rest of the day. My parents said they would take Erin and Rebecca that night as I had to be up early the next morning. Yvonne was going to join me at the start line. Well take photos of me and support me.

Yes legs were shaved and numbers were put on that night.

Night Night all

RACE DAY 20th July 

Ohh bugger, this was it, this was really it. Erin had originally said that she wanted to come to the start with us. Eventually she thought better of a 3am rise, which I was glad about as it was going to be a very long day. So Yvonne and I got dressed and headed down to breakfast to be greeted by loads of other athletes eating bananas, muesli, weetabix, their own concoctions etc etc. I had what I would normally have before a race with an added banana. After 20 minutes I headed back to the room picked up my bag and then drove to the Macron Stadium. There we were to get buses to the start line @ Pennington Flash.

The bus journey was quiet, we got dropped off just at the Holiday Inn and had to walk about 5 mins to the lake. Once there I headed straight to my bike to inflate the tyres. Check that I had everything that I needed on the bike and then hope for the best. I started to get into my wetsuit in the T1 on the way out of transition I bumped into Andy Butler (His wife Cath was doing it). Quick chat then off to drop off my bag with Yvonne. Who was waiting at the start point. Drank a bottle of High 5 while waiting. Yvonne took a couple of pics of me donning my wetsuit. Then it was time to get into the water. Yvonne gave me a kiss good luck and then I headed out to the start which was about 100m from the shore.

Swim

We were all poised to start, the national anthem was played and then we were off. 2000 competitors in one BIG wave. It took me a while to settle into a rhythm, I was still nervous and I did not want to excert to much energy. Before I knew it I had completed the first lap in just over 40mins a quick wave to Yvonne, then back into the water for the 2nd and final lap. This time I felt that I had slowed down but the field had spread out a lot more by now. I finished the swim in 1hr 25min 33 secs. Overall I feel happy with my swim time, as I did not drown :D.

T1

Lmao this was comical. I was still trying to get my "land" feet while running to T1. Got the wetsuit half off. Got into the tent where my bag was. Took the rest of the wetsuit off then it happened, I really really needed to go to the toilet. This was something I could not hold in. As I headed out to the port-a-loos there was loads of people running and jumping up and down to see if there was a free one. Did the necessary, then got my shoes, helmet and all accessories that I thought I would need and headed for the bike and out of T1.

Crap time of 11mins 10secs. Yeah could of been a lot faster.

Bike

I was off. I pushed the bike slightly further passed the mount line as everyone seemed to of stopped there and try to get on their bikes too busy. 10 metres passed it no-one except me :D. There was loads of speed bumps on the way out of Pennington Flash, which in turn meant debris (Water bottles, pumps, gels) There was a couple of accidents on the before the exit of the Flash. I hope the guy was okay, his head was all bandaged up :(.

I was not going to go hell for leather on the bike. I had never done above 81 miles on the bike before and that was at the Etape. I had my nutrition strategy which I managed to roughly keep to (every 30mins take either gel, 1/2 powerbar or cliff bar, gel). My legs took a while to get going and when they did my left knee started to hurt after 18 miles, so I slowed down to see if that would eleviate the pain. It eventually did but next my chain came off. Grrrrr, so had to stop and put chain back on and start the journey again. This is all happened within 25 miles. I have never endured so many hills in my life. Sheep Hill Lane was unexpected. by that I mean I knew that is was a bugger of a hill but I never respected how much by. The first part was easy enough no great effort needed, second part was slightly harder but nothing to note, so I thought that the last could not be much worse..............ooooops that was a mistake. I managed up it but a lot of effort on my behalf was needed. Was just glad to get to the top of the hill to the roar of the supporters and PA system. Then it was a twisty road with a steep descent (I hate descents), I rode the brakes the whole way down. The course was I found to be quite technical. The supporters were second to none, they kept you going and the marshalls were in excellent form. The last hill before the start of the second lap is known as Hunter Hill. Well OMG this is a short but very steep hill. This was a major struggle to get up this I did manage it but barely. Got to the top of the hill and there I met Andy Butler again cheering everyone on. At least at the start of the 2nd lap I knew what was to come. Not sure if that is a good or a bad thing. The weather was starting to get warmer aswell. I passed a few of the feed stations. Did have to stop at a couple. I cannot take drinks/bananas on the go. Plus I needed a "pitstop" to much intake of fluids.

Again I felt the same twinge in my left knee about 80 miles in, again I slowed down and again the chain fell off aaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh. All turned out good though and away we go. The second time of asking at Sheep Hill Lane was a real challenge, legs were screaming at me to stop but I kept going. Then next up was Hunters Hill I hit this at about 93 or 94 miles waaaah. I managed half way up the hill and my legs lost the battle. I had to get off the bike and push it the remainder of the hill, I thought of giving up there an then. I was so down beat, I have never had to push my bike up a hill, I was embarrassed. Then a heard a shout from the crowd saying "don't worry, you are still moving your legs now get to the top of the hill and get back on the bike". This got me slightly upbeat as he was right I had not stopped I have not given up I was just resting the legs slightly for the marathon I still had to do. I got to the top promptly got back on the bike and hammered it as much as my legs would back to T2.

The sight of seeing T2 was a joy, not only for me but for Yvonne as the tracker unknown to me had not caught up with me, so she was getting a bit nervous as to where I was. Then Yvonne, Erin and my parents saw me and gave me a huge cheer. Erin even made a sign for me which brought a lump to my throat. I eventually made to the dismount sign. I then proceeded to run with the bike hand it off to the people taking your bike.

Bike time 7hrs 21mins 40secs.

Have to say I am disappointed in my bike time yes I finished it but I was hoping for about 6hr 30ish not to worry though I got there.

T2

My legs were tired so I slowly got changed into my trainers and also changed into a clean pair of socks. Drank some flat coke, lathered on sun cream (yeah it was really warm by this time). Sat down and gathered my thoughts, I had finished the swim and cycle and now all I had to do was a marathon. I can do this, I CAN DO THIS, quick look at my watch to see what kind of time I had. Which was over 7 hrs. Just be sensible and I could be called an IRONMAN. Headed out of T2 again to roars of MY support crew.

T2 Time :- 11mins 37 secs

Did not care I was well within the cut off times.

Run

This was more of a walk and waddle. I was really tired and in need of salt (which I would not get until mile 10 in the way of pretzels). I started the first 1/2 mile as a walk. Then I tried to get into a slow jog which I managed for about a mile, then back to a walk, then to a jog......this was basically the entire marathon.

I passed the finish chute 3 times, McDonalds and Costa Coffee 6 times now that is just torture. On my first lap I nearly missed Yvonne and the family until they shouted words of encouragement. I stopped went across and gave Erin and Yvonne a hug and kiss. I needed the encouragement I was over 10hrs into the race and in a dark place. The rest of the supporters (general) lined the streets pushing and willing everyone on. I stopped at every feed station for water and eventually pretzels and half bananas. On the second lap in the town centre, I got the surprise of my life when I heard my name getting shouted from the crowd and searched the crowd only to see my Aunt Vicki and Uncle Jim cheering me on. I never expected to see them there and that again spurred me on. There was a hill coming out from the centre and I never saw a single person running it. Everyone including me was walking up it. You could see how tired people were. There was people with 0, 1 or 2 coloured bands depending on what lap you were on (you needed 3 to finish). I got talking to some people on the run, had good banter as I felt like I was the only Scottish person there. Could here shouts from people saying "come on Glasgow". At last I was shouting to the crowd that this is the last lap next time I am back in the centre I would be crossing that finish line. So this time I headed out with the determination and excitement knowing when I head back it would be to cross the finish line.

Run Time :- 5hr 35mins 33secs

When I was about to be given my last band (which was pink) I had to give the volunteer a hug, I was feeling happy, excited. I started to pick up the pace as much as I could, I got to the penultimate timing mat, the next timing mat would be the finish line. I managed to jog a couple of miles without slowing to a walk. I got to within 1 mile of the finish and I started to walk. It was like a countdown. I was now in the centre with only 1/4 mile to the finish. I got to the point where you break off towards the finishing chute. I saw my Aunt and Uncle again congratulating me. I was not walking I was running by this point. I then got onto the red carpet by this time my emotions had taken over I could feel the tears well up, I saw Yvonne litterly before the finish line. I stopped went over gave her a HUGE kiss and hug, told her "I have done it, I cannot believe it I have done it" while in tears, she then broke into tears aswell. I then turned and crossed the finish line to the immortal words of

ANDREW YOU ARE AN IRONMAN.

Overall Time : 14hrs 45mins 53 secs

I was pleased with that run time, Actually overall I am pleased with my time. I only wanted to finish the race but with the hope of to get just over 15hrs but to get under YAAAAAA DANCER.

I was in shock I had done what I thought I would never achieve. 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile cycle and then a 26.2 mile run.

I was handed my medal and shuffled off to get my T-Shirt, then food and bags etc. I had to sit down and soak in what I still cannot believe.

I then got out to the crowd, proudly donning my finishers t-shirt. Went straight to Yvonne for another celebrationary kiss and hug and then all the family joined in. Photo's were taken, drinks were had (well only a sip from me) I then went to McDonalds for 2 cheeseburgers, 2 large fries and a large chocolate milkshake. Well I think I slightly earned it :D.


No comments:

Post a Comment