The reasoning behind the madness!

The reasoning behind the madness!

Please show your support by sponsoring me



UPDATE! 25 Oct 2010

It is with great sadness that I write this update. On the 25th October 2010 my little sister sadly passed away at the age of 31. She had bravely battled MND for 11 years. She had never given up and had achieved to much even after developing MND, winning the Open University award for achievement to gaining a degree. She will be greatly missed and will for ever be in our thoughts. Love you sis :D

Well where to start, it was all originally done as I was carry to much weight and wanted to loose it. Which I am sure it most peoples story begins, however after loosing the weight I actually started to enjoy running outside. Joined some forums (BCTTT & Runners World), there inspiration and helpfullness has helped me a lot. Now I am also swimming and commuting a couple of times a week to work on my bike! Now since 2011 I accomplished more than I thought I ever would or could. From 5k runs to an Ironman in 2014 and The Outlaw in 2015. In 2016 I am going down a different route, I will be trying Ultra's as you can see from my events I have already entered 3 so far. Now I thought wait a minute I need to have one more motivation and that people is my sister Emma. Since the age of 20 she was very unfortunate and developed MND (Motor Neurone Disease), she is now 31 years of Age. Her health has deteriatated over the years and we nearly lost her last year. My mum had to give up her work and become a full time carer for my sister and my dad takes over the duties when he comes home from work. All the races I do will be in aid of my sister and all money raised will be donated to MND to help raise awareness and research in the disease. Thanks for all your help and enjoy my training blog,

Sunday 1 June 2014

Outlaw Half Ironman 2014

Well on the 1st June I was competing in the Outlaw Half Ironman. Which consists of 1.2m swim, 56 cycle and then a 13.1 mile run to finish off.

We decided that it would be best to set off on the Friday afternoon. So we did not have to rush about on the Saturday getting to registration etc. Just aswell we did leave on the Friday the amount of roadworks to Nottingham was joke. One of them was a 19 mile straight of average speed camera's for 50mph. We did eventually arrive at our chosen premier inn for the night @ about 8pm. Unfortunately I could not bring Erin with me as she had school on the Monday (day we were travelling home). Rebecca was soo nice and gave us virtually no sleep on the Friday night. 

On the Saturday had some breakfast and then decided the first thing we needed to do was get registered. Headed over the Holme Point, all the car parks were full. So had to park in what felt the end of the park (which would of been about 1 mile away from the registration tent). Once we got parked on the grass verge which turned out to be about 200 yards from the registration, doubled back on ourselves. Where we were parked was good for watching the Nottingham Triathlon that was taking part on the Saturday it was also a European Age Group Qualifier. The ground was still soft and muddy, great for pushing a pram over......NOT. The set up was very organised. Went straight to get registered first which was painless. It was tattoo transfers for the numbers which we we to put on ourselves. Came back out to find that some twat competitor had pushed Yvonne into a mud puddle. Shoes completely ruined. 

Let her go freshen up while I sat and amused Rebecca. After which we took a walk over to the Expo tent and I had a look around, I will add that was all I did. Bought a grand total of ZERO. Headed back to the car as I had a matter of a small cycle and a run. Yvonne wanted to take a wonder at the Victoria Centre, that was a farce to get to. Eventually found it dropped her off and headed back to Holme Point to meet up with Jason to go a cycle. 

Got parked, bike put together, got ready, met up with Jason and one of his friends and went a gentle 10 mile cycle round some of the course. It was pretty much uneventful. Got back quick change then out for a 2 mile run. Again back on part of the course that I would be running the next day. By this point I could feel the hayfever kicking in BIG style, yeah we were running through what seemed virtually all beside or on grass. Got back picked up Yvonne went back to the premier Inn had some dinner and then off to bed. 

Never really slept much as I had to be up at 4 am as my start wave was 6:30 am. Plus being on of the nervous disposition I always think I am going to be late etc. Got up had granola oats for breakfast with a couple of croissants. Filled up one of my 750ml water bottles with nuun about 90mins before the event. Sipped on it till the start, about 1hr before I started a banana and slowly ate that. About 10 mins before the swim necked an ISO gel. The weather looked not too bad, cloudy cover but still warm.

I was number 107, wave one. So this could be a chance for me to get swam over, was not looking forward to that aspect. Bike was racked, there was not much room for your gear. All the bikes handlebars were touching it was that tight. Anyway I managed, put on my wetsuit. Which was the first time since the Vit in 2012, this was also going to be my first open water swim since then aswell. The event staff were calling for everyone in wave one, this was me. Time had eventually come for me to head to the start. I got in the water and it was freezing. Forgot how cold it actually is. I was going to use my Tempo Pro to pace myself. Then before I knew what was happening the air horn was blasted and we were off. I never rushed out I just took my time. I was sticking to my own plan. FINISH. I was so glad I used the tempo pro I managed to pace myself no problem. I even overtook people, probably the same people that rushed past me at the start. The swim was horrible not in the way you may think. The weeds and roots in the water that you had to fight through was horrible. Otherwise I enjoyed the swim, yes you heard right I ENJOYED the swim. Got out in 38:55, really pleased with that. 

T1 was slow, but I could not feel my feet they were that cold. Got the wetsuit off dried my feet, socks on. helmet on, gloves on, windstopper on (was pre filled with my nutrition). Exited T1 to be pulled back because my number belt was not visable. So had to mess about, unclip it then readjust it then I could head off. Jumped on the bike and away I went.

The bike was good, this is what I was looking forward to, the open road. The pack I started with at the beginning of the bike section is pretty much who I came in with at the end of the bike section. I did overtake I fair amount of people, at the same time though loads overtook me, which included a few females (that started 30mins after me) The one hill that I managed to put in the wrong gear for Oxton bank I think was the hill. Man that was some gradient. I struggled up it, but I got up it. There was a feed station at the top passed it by. Actually I never stopped at any of the feed stations on the bike. i did get one annoying competitor wanting to pass on my right and he kept saying right, right coming through your right. Even though l had nowhere to go. It was at the feed station and everyone on my left had stopped so I just kept going. He gave me a disapproving look as he passed. Never mind he could not of been to happy when I passed him again and then never saw him again lol. The rest of the ride was good until the last 3 miles where the road conditions were poor to say the least. Loads of lost water bottles, we even crossed a cattle grid. There were a few unmarked speed bumps which made for interesting times. Finished the bike in just over 2hrs 51mins again really chuffed with that. 

T2 again was slow. Time I racked the bike got all my gear off and trainers on.Took ages, another gel was had plus a gulp of nuun. Hat put on as it had got a lot warmer now. Yes and you have guessed it no sun cream. 

The run was terrible to say the least. My first mile was my fastest mile 7:54, then it really slowed. The heat by this time was starting to get to me, it picked up 2 cups of water at every feed station one for me one for the back of my neck. Did not pick up and High 5 or gels. At mile 9 everything went wrong got stomach cramp and it never improved. Unsure the cause. Have to say I was not going fast anyway. I had nothing left to give. At the last feed station I did take on board a flat coke which seemed to settle my stomach a bit so I could run/jog the last mile. The run was full of obstacles be it hurdling dogs, dodging bikes or just having terrible hayfever (which I could not avoid). When I saw my time for the run at the end I have to say I was impressed even with my problems. Third fastest half marathon time and that is after a swim and a cycle. 2hr 15min

Overall I hit all targets I set out to do. Improve my times on the Vitruvian in 2012 and beat my overall time. I thought I was being ambitious looking for under 6hrs. Considering that my Vitruvian time was 6hrs 31min. But I shocked myself.

Overall time 5hrs 55mins



Next Ironman UK 20th July. 

No comments:

Post a Comment