The reasoning behind the madness!

The reasoning behind the madness!

Please show your support by sponsoring me

UPDATE! 25 Oct 2010

It is with great sadness that I write this update. On the 25th October 2010 my little sister sadly passed away at the age of 31. She had bravely battled MND for 11 years. She had never given up and had achieved to much even after developing MND, winning the Open University award for achievement to gaining a degree. She will be greatly missed and will for ever be in our thoughts. Love you sis :D

Well where to start, it was all originally done as I was carry to much weight and wanted to loose it. Which I am sure it most peoples story begins, however after loosing the weight I actually started to enjoy running outside. Joined some forums (BCTTT & Runners World), there inspiration and helpfullness has helped me a lot. Now I am also swimming and commuting a couple of times a week to work on my bike! Now since 2011 I accomplished more than I thought I ever would or could. From 5k runs to an Ironman in 2014 and The Outlaw in 2015. In 2016 I am going down a different route, I will be trying Ultra's as you can see from my events I have already entered 3 so far. Now I thought wait a minute I need to have one more motivation and that people is my sister Emma. Since the age of 20 she was very unfortunate and developed MND (Motor Neurone Disease), she is now 31 years of Age. Her health has deteriatated over the years and we nearly lost her last year. My mum had to give up her work and become a full time carer for my sister and my dad takes over the duties when he comes home from work. All the races I do will be in aid of my sister and all money raised will be donated to MND to help raise awareness and research in the disease. Thanks for all your help and enjoy my training blog,

Sunday, 22 June 2014

Men's Health 10Km

This was the spur of the moment decision. What a father's day present to myself.

Got up had a quick breakfast, maybe this was the time to mention that I had a curry the night before. That was hopefully not going to come back and bite me later (it did). Was unsure what way to go, the wrong way in my account as I forgot all the road closures at and near bellahouston Park. I did just make it to the registration with 2 minutes to spare.

Did my warm up and mid warm up, yup the post curry hit. Had to stand in a queue for about 20 minutes. Just made it in time to the start line, where I met one of my fellow Park runners Jack. We had a chat on the way to the start line discussing our aims for the day. Eventually we got to the start line and we were away. I had a plan for the day and it involved using different paces to get round (part of the training plan). As I registered on the day I was in the group of runner doing it in 1hr upwards. They were letting us off in waves. I did see the 50 minute pacer go off about 3 minutes ahead of me.

I started well. The first half mile is pretty much flat and around the park. Next up was a small hill to Mosspark boulevard. The first 2-3 miles was uneventful. However having the curry the night before was having to deal with the upset stomach and lack of fluids I thought was going to prove difficult. I decided not to look at the watch until the last 1/2 mile to see the time. I couple of people past me at the start and half way through the run. I had to remember that I was pacing myself and I was running my own race so let them go. I did eventually pass some of them again about a mile from the finish. I did pass a water station (same one twice) but passed on the water. The day was starting to get warmer and warmer. I should of in hindsight taken water the 2nd time. I do learn from these mistakes honest.

I knew that I was just over 1/2 mile from the finish (having done it last year). I decided that I would not bother looking at the watch and just nail the last 1/2 mile, which did include an uphill run, not bothered what did I have to loose. The crowds were cheering us on. Got to within 200 metres of the finish and what did I see, were my eyes deceiving me. I saw the 50 minute pacer. But that would mean I would be under 50 minutes as he had about a 3 minute head start on me. This only made me pick up my speed that wee bit more. I passed and crossed the finish line ahead of the pacer. Woohoo to me.

Finishing time - 47:22

I am actually amazed in how well I did. I have never been below 50 minutes in a 10K, but to beat it by over 2 minutes felt greeeeeeeeeat.

Here is a wee pic of Jack and me after the race. He also bettered his time by 2 minutes a day of PB's :D

No comments:

Post a Comment